.

One's own knowledge and understanding of truth are always evolving. This blog seems to have morphed mainly into a collection of scriptural thoughts and insights, mostly for the purpose of personal exploration. I believe that we can "know" spiritual truths. I also believe that the scriptures can be a gateway to that knowledge.




Monday, March 23, 2015

Many Afflictions.....





1 I, NEPHI, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 1:1)

There is a gem tucked away in this scripture.  It is a great truth that the lot of this life is "many afflictions" and being "highly favored of the Lord in all my days."   We receive a good deal of both.  I love how throughout Nephi's record he notes the afflictions but rejoices and and focuses on the the blessings.  That perspective allows him to have joy and to move forward.  Laman and Lemuel can't quite do that.  They fall into the trap of allowing the negative to color their perspective and to drive their reactions.  Nephi and Laman and Lemuel (why can't you say one without the other?) went through the exact same travails but ended up in two completely different destinations at the end of the day.  Good lesson to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment