.

One's own knowledge and understanding of truth are always evolving. This blog seems to have morphed mainly into a collection of scriptural thoughts and insights, mostly for the purpose of personal exploration. I believe that we can "know" spiritual truths. I also believe that the scriptures can be a gateway to that knowledge.




Wednesday, December 28, 2011

And He Healed Them All Every One by Gary Kapp

I'm currently reading in 3rd Nephi in the Book of Mormon.  It's hard to choose favorite books and chapters from the Book of Mormon as there are so many, but if pressed I would be tempted to choose 3rd Nephi.

This morning as I was reading chapter 18 I was again reminded of a pattern that I have noticed before.  The Savior in administering the sacrament first broke bread and gave it to His chosen disciples.  When they had eaten and were filled He then commanded that they give the bread to the multitude.  This sequence was repeated with the wine.

I believe the Savior was instituting His pattern for dispersing salvation to mankind.  The Savior calls those to whom He gives the authority to act for Him.  He then ministers to them and they minister to the rest of us.  How grateful I am to live in a time where there are apostles and prophets who have authority from the Savior to act in His name.  

Verse 13 has always caught my attention also.  The Savior says after giving the charge to teach the keeping of the commandments through the administering of the sacrament, "But whoso among you shall do more or less than these are not built upon my rock, but are built upon a sandy foundation...."  We often focus on what it means to do less - the not keeping of the commandments or the breaking of them.    But what does it mean for us to do more than this?  I wonder if when we add unto what the Savior has given if we become like the pharisees, following many procedures that are hollow of true spirituality.  Much to-do gives us the illusion of spiritual business leaving us little time for the core of the gospel which is faith, repentance, the keeping of baptismal covenants and receiving and following the gift of the Holy Ghost. Indeed the Savior has shown us the path and we need not add to it.  It is sufficient and abundant.

1 comment: