.

One's own knowledge and understanding of truth are always evolving. This blog seems to have morphed mainly into a collection of scriptural thoughts and insights, mostly for the purpose of personal exploration. I believe that we can "know" spiritual truths. I also believe that the scriptures can be a gateway to that knowledge.




Wednesday, June 8, 2016

"Have Ye Inquired of the Lord?"

Lehi partakes of the fruit of the Tree of Life

2 And it came to pass that I beheld my brethren, and they were disputing one with another concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them.
3 For he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord; and they being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:2 - 3)


8 And I said unto them: Have ye inquired of the Lord?
9 And they said unto me: We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us.

(Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:8 - 9)

So often we align ourselves with Nephi but when we honestly evaluate our behaviors we sometimes come out looking more like Laman and Lemuel.  

How often when a subject of controversy arises do we get together and hash it out with others who have no more inspiration than ourselves.  We have many conversations but in the end we go our way having never inquired of the Lord. 

Alma and Mormon are examples to us.   

6 And it came to pass that Alma inquired of the Lord concerning the matter. 
(Book of Mormon | Alma 16:6)

7 For immediately after I had learned these things of you I inquired of the Lord concerning the matter.  And the word of the Lord came to me by the power of the Holy Ghost.....
(Book of Mormon | Moroni 8:7)

Is our first response when we hear something we do not understand to "immediately" inquire of the Lord before we muddy the waters of our mind and spirit with the multitude of others' opinions?

I have found that the Lord does give me answers through the still, small voice when I remember to inquire openly without a preconceived agenda and if I am willing to receive what he gives me.   If I am honestly seeking truth with my heart it often removes me from the hubbub being hashed out in the information sphere.  

Remember, remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment