.

One's own knowledge and understanding of truth are always evolving. This blog seems to have morphed mainly into a collection of scriptural thoughts and insights, mostly for the purpose of personal exploration. I believe that we can "know" spiritual truths. I also believe that the scriptures can be a gateway to that knowledge.




Tuesday, July 16, 2019

The Joy of Sabbath Keeping



I thank God from the bottom of my soul for the blessing of the Sabbath Day.  More and more, I observe those around me drifting (or perhaps they never were taught) from the Sabbath observance of my youth.  I am eternally grateful for parents for whom the Sabbath was a priority, who taught keeping the Sabbath Day holy and who practiced what they taught. Of course, in my youth and younger adult years the Sabbath was not yet fully a joy.  I observed the Sabbath Day and had a testimony of the Sabbath.  I knew I felt better when I kept the Sabbath but it did feel restrictive.  

As a parent it was a challenge to help young children (and teenagers) keep the Sabbath and it required that I set aside some of my own desires and put my effort into seeing that they were able to keep the Sabbath according to their age.  

One of the greatest gifts a parent can give their children is to teach them to sacrifice their own inclinations and desires and turn their hearts towards the Lord on the Sabbath Day.  If parents will sacrifice their own desires and lead by example in preparing for and observing the Sabbath day it will be an eternal blessing to their children.  

What a blessing it is to learn the law of sacrifice in relationship to the Sabbath.  Sacrifice buying that treat on the Sabbath.  Sacrifice a day of vacation time to keep the Sabbath holy.  Sacrifice that movie or tv show for the blessing of a something that will strengthen your spirit.

As I grow older the Sabbath is my favorite day.  I’m so grateful that this day is set apart from the rest of the week.  I don’t work in the yard, do optional housework, shop (hallelujah!) or pay attention to the world.  What a relief!  I so value the peace and the rest from my weekly labors.  It is such a blessing to have one day set aside each week to not do what you do the other six days.  I try to bring the spirit of the Holy Ghost into whatever I am doing through what I listen to and read.  I am truly, truly blessed by making small sacrifices to keep the Sabbath and I fully recognize great blessings in my life from keeping the Sabbath. The blessings are infinite but here a just a few:

Renewal - physical and spiritual
Peace
Remaining more fully unspotted from the world
Spiritual strength
Power against temptation
Temporal blessings.
The opportunity to learn sacrifice (which is why you don’t give into the temptation of “just this once.”  You lose your spiritual power.)
The Sabbath day is binding – it is a covenant between us and the Lord.  It gives us security.
The Sabbath is made for man – we don’t keep the Sabbath day for the Lord’s benefit but for our own.

“The promises of the Lord to those who keep the Sabbath day holy are so wonderfully clear in the scriptures that they leave one asking, “Why would anyone throw away such blessings for the tawdry, temporary pleasures of the world?” Hear again the words of Jehovah as they roll down from Mount Sinai: “Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord.
“If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
“Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase. …
“… And ye shall eat your bread to the full, and dwell in your land safely.
“And I will give [you] peace in the land, … neither shall the sword go through your land. …
“For I will have respect unto you, and make you fruitful, … and establish my covenant with you. …
“And I will set my tabernacle [that is, my temple] among you. …
“And I will walk among you, and will be your God, and ye shall be my people.”22

(The Blessings of Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy –  H. Aldridge Gillespie. Oct. 2000)


“Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. “ Exodus 31:13










No comments:

Post a Comment